Subject: The Quest for lean binaries...
From: [email-masked] ("BERND LASER")

17 Mar 1997 11:22:01 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v2.42a)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Ladies and Gentlemen,

again and again and again ...
we have to deal with the infamous 'not owner' problem which turns out 
to be corrupted executables at least under NT4. After reading FAQs 
and searching ml-archives this doesn't seem to me to be really straightened 
out at all.
I have successfully compiled a quite large seismic processing package 
in plain 'C' under cygwin32 which consits of quite a few but mostly 
quite small modules. Using gcc's -s options i get corrupted exe's not 
running under NT. Avoiding it they run but are too large (for my 
humble opinion).
The other day then I loaded some exe's for cygwin32 down ('man' in 
particular), found them quite lean and - Not owner! Got suspicious 
then, tested them under win95, and they seem to run OK.

So, is this just the status quo? Or is there any solution to get lean 
exe's also under, say, NT4SP2 ? I don't think copying the libc++ from 
Beta 14 would help me anyhow.

I would really appreciate any kind of answer !

Regards.
____________________________________________________________________________
Bernd Laser
Dep. of Earth Sciences
University of Bremen

FON:               FAX:               EMail:
+49 421 218 7286   +49 421 218 7179   [email-masked]

Snail:
   Bernd Laser
   Universitaet Bremen, FB 5
   P.O. Box 330440
   28334 Bremen
   Germany
____________________________________________________________________________
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".