Subject: File operations speed-up
From: [email-masked] (Sergey Okhapkin)

17 Mar 1997 09:29:58 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: "'Gnu-Win32'" <[email-masked]>
Encoding: 21 TEXT, 136 UUENCODE
X-MS-Attachment: archive.diff 0 00-00-1980 00:00
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi!

This patch increases the speed of stat/lstat calls dramatically. The trick 
is simple. Cygwin's stat call implementation reads the beginning of stated 
file to look for a "magic cookie" to define "executable" and "symlink" 
attributes of a file. With this patch reading is performed only if file 
have "archive" bit cleared. All ordinary files (not executables/symlinks) 
have this bit set. After applying this patch You have to "chmod +x file" on 
all executables/symlinks. I made a "chmod +x *" on directories with 
binaries. Later I'll write a special utility "fssync" to examine all files 
in a given directory tree and to set archive bit according to file magic 
cookie. Compare the time of "du ." on cygwin's root without and with this 
patch :-)

--
Sergey Okhapkin
Moscow, Russia
Looking for a job.

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".