Subject: Re: Support for alpha?
From: [email-masked] (Stephen Williams)

14 Mar 1997 22:56:10 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
X-Mailer: exmh version 1.6.7 05/05/96
Original-To: Jim Balter <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Your message of "Fri, 14 Mar 1997 15:58:22 PST."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

[email-masked] said:
> There's a lot of machine-specific stuff in the compiler and other 
> bintools, and there's a little bit in the library, such as setjmp and 
> exception handling.

The alpha is already supported as a target by gcc, there seem to be
config files in gcc-2.7.2 for alpha-unknown-winnt. Also, the Linux/alpha
uses the GNU compiler (and I use Linux/alpha) so there is certainly a
working gnu compiler for alpha.

binutils also has the requisite stuff for the alpha. I use the GNU toolchain
all the time for native and cross compiles on the alpha. It's there.

Someone just has to go through the effort of getting the non-compiler parts
ported to the alpha. This would be the cygwin DLL, etc. It's that sort of
thing that I'm not sure is easy to resolve. Eventually, I'll take a stab
at it as I already use the GNU compiler in a gazillion other places and I'll
be needed the whole chain working native and cross on NT for those customers
of mine who just can't live without Windoze (gag.)
-- 
Steve Williams
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".