Subject: Init bash with .bashrc for gnu-win32
From: [email-masked] (Christian Joensson FOA 72)

10 Mar 1997 09:55:19 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.4 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by cygnus.com id IAA08239
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I suppose this subject has already been dealt with but as the archive does
not mention it, AFAIK, and I can't get it right myself, I'd like to ask for
help.

I'm running Windows '95 and went to
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest. There I picked up all.tar.gz,
cygwin.dll, tar.exe, and gunzip.exe. I did not have any previous
installation of cygnus' win32.

I decided to install in c:/cygnus, i.e., untarred in c:/cygnus. That
directory now contains:

c:/cygnus:
  total 0
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 12:13 .
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Jan 01  1970 ..
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 12:53 H-i386-cygwin32
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 12:55 include
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 12:55 info
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 12:55 lib
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 12:55 man
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 12:55 share

and the first (alphabetically) part of the bin dir is:

c:/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin:
  total 11520
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 12:53 .
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 12:53 ..
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123         19456 Mar 10 12:54 [.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123        209920 Mar 10 12:54 ar.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123        352256 Mar 10 12:54 as.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123        207872 Mar 10 12:54 awk.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123          7680 Mar 10 12:54 basename.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123        331264 Mar 10 12:54 bash.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123          2043 Mar 10 12:54 bashbug.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123         69120 Mar 10 12:54 byacc.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123          8704 Mar 10 12:53 c++.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123         27648 Mar 10 12:54 c++filt.exe
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123         11264 Mar 10 12:53 cat.exe

Now, I really want to run gcc and friends from bash. I therefor (?) did copy
sh.exe to c:\bin, so I have:

c:/bin:
  total 324
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Mar 10 15:17 .
  drwxrwxrwx   2 chj      123             0 Jan 01  1970 ..
  -rwxrwxrwx   1 chj      123        331264 Mar 10 12:54 sh.exe

I then tried to figure out how to get bash going. I ended up in having the
following file as c:\.bashrc

export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX='C:\cygnus\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\'
export PATH='C:\cygnus\H-i386-cygwin32\bin':$PATH:.

and just for the balance, I copied it to c:\.shrc (don't really know why...)

This seems fine, but it ain't. Starting bash and printing the env gets me:

bash$ env
TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
CMDLINE=WIN
PROMPT=$p$g
TERM=dumb
HOSTTYPE=i386
PATH=C:/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin:/WINDOWS:/WINDOWS/COMMAND:.
SHELL=/bin/sh
WINBOOTDIR=C:\WINDOWS
WINDIR=C:\WINDOWS
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=C:\cygnus\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\
OSTYPE=win32
COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
SHLVL=1
_=\cygnus\H-i386-cygwin32\bin/env.exe
PID=1001
bash$

and trying gcc --version looks fine:

bash$ gcc --version
cygnus-2.7.2-961023
bash$

but trying g++ --version yields:

bash$ g++ --version
g++: vfork: No such file or directory
bash$

Well, I'm sure I'm doing something trivially wrong, but I can't figure it
out. I must say I have a problem with `, ´, and ' which I suspect.

Can anyone comment on this, please?

TIA,
Christian Jönsson
Dep't of C&C Warf. Tech.
Div. of Comm. Syst.

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".