Subject: Re: How to compile Midnight Commander?
From: [email-masked] (Bill Bartley)

8 Mar 1997 22:51:26 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (Win95; I)
Original-To: Jim Balter <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Jim Balter wrote:
> 
> Bill Bartley wrote:
> >
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > I just installed the gnu-win32 system, and as my first project
> > I was trying to compile Midnight Commander using the configure
> > script. But - after a long struggle - configure exits with
> > no Makefile created, even though I mounted the drive with
> > the -m option which is supposed to prevent configure from
> > deleting the Makefile at the end of its processing.
> 
> Where did you here that?  The -m flag has no effect in the latest
> version of cygwin, and even if it did, it wouldn't have anything to
> do with configure deleting Makefiles; why would configure ever
> delete a Makefile after going to all the trouble of making one?
> 
> > Can configure actually work? Or do I have to create the
> > Makefile by hand? Any hints on how to do this?
> 
> Your chances of receiving help will increase if you bother to
> include useful information, like the output you got when you
> ran configure.  Generally, configure runs a bunch of tests,
> printing out the results of those tests.  It also produces
> a config.h, config.status, a config.cache, and config.log,
> which you should certainly examine, and finally, if all went well,
> a Makefile.  Odds are it didn't all go well, but you have not provided
> a single clue as to what might have gone wrong, and without telepathic
> or remote viewing powers no one reading the mailing list could know.
> 
> --
> <J Q B>

Jim, thanks for responding. Here is an answer to one of your questions,
plus the files you
suggested.

1. Why I thought configure may have deleted the Makefile:

(This is from faq.html#SEC22)

"Mixed Case Filenames

The perl config causes some other problems too; the config<foo>.SH
scripts generate a 
file called "Makefile", and use and delete a file called "makefile" on
the way. Because 
of NT's case insensitivity, this will nuke Makefile, leaving you with
nothing. You can 
fix this by mounting with the 'mixed' option."

Since I could find no Makefile at the end of the process, I thought
maybe that 
running configure under gnu-win32 had the same problem.

2. This is the final output of configure:

"Configuration:

  Source code location:       .
  Compiler:                   gcc
  Compiler flags:             -g
  File system:                Midnight Commander Virtual File System
                              tarfs
  Text mode screen manager:   SLang with termcap
  Install console saver:      no
  Text mode mouse library:    xterm only
  Debugger code:              none
  With subshell support:      yes
  X11 versions:               none
  Install path:               //D/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin,
//D/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/lib/mc"

3. Here are the contents of config.log:

"This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

gcc -E
gcc -E"

4. Here the contents of config.cache:

ac_cv_c_const=${ac_cv_c_const='yes'}
ac_cv_c_cross=${ac_cv_c_cross='yes'}
ac_cv_dnamesize=${ac_cv_dnamesize='no'}
ac_cv_dusum=${ac_cv_dusum='dusum_useb=yes; dusum_factor=1'}
ac_cv_func_cfgetospeed=${ac_cv_func_cfgetospeed='no'}
ac_cv_func_crypt=${ac_cv_func_crypt='no'}
ac_cv_func_gethostbyname=${ac_cv_func_gethostbyname='no'}
ac_cv_func_getmntent=${ac_cv_func_getmntent='no'}
ac_cv_func_getmntinfo=${ac_cv_func_getmntinfo='no'}
ac_cv_func_getpagesize=${ac_cv_func_getpagesize='no'}
ac_cv_func_getwd=${ac_cv_func_getwd='no'}
ac_cv_func_grantpt=${ac_cv_func_grantpt='no'}
ac_cv_func_initgroups=${ac_cv_func_initgroups='no'}
ac_cv_func_mmap=${ac_cv_func_mmap='no'}
ac_cv_func_putenv=${ac_cv_func_putenv='no'}
ac_cv_func_pwdauth=${ac_cv_func_pwdauth='no'}
ac_cv_func_socket=${ac_cv_func_socket='no'}
ac_cv_func_statfs=${ac_cv_func_statfs='no'}
ac_cv_func_statvfs=${ac_cv_func_statvfs='no'}
ac_cv_func_strcasecmp=${ac_cv_func_strcasecmp='no'}
ac_cv_func_strdup=${ac_cv_func_strdup='no'}
ac_cv_func_strerror=${ac_cv_func_strerror='no'}
ac_cv_func_strncasecmp=${ac_cv_func_strncasecmp='no'}
ac_cv_func_truncate=${ac_cv_func_truncate='no'}
ac_cv_func_valloc=${ac_cv_func_valloc='no'}
ac_cv_header_crypt_h=${ac_cv_header_crypt_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_dirent_dirent_h=${ac_cv_header_dirent_dirent_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_fcntl_h=${ac_cv_header_fcntl_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_grp_h=${ac_cv_header_grp_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_limits_h=${ac_cv_header_limits_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_malloc_h=${ac_cv_header_malloc_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_memory_h=${ac_cv_header_memory_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_minix_config_h=${ac_cv_header_minix_config_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_mntent_h=${ac_cv_header_mntent_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_mnttab_h=${ac_cv_header_mnttab_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_stdc=${ac_cv_header_stdc='no'}
ac_cv_header_string_h=${ac_cv_header_string_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_dustat_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_dustat_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_filsys_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_filsys_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_fs_types_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_fs_types_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_fstyp_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_fstyp_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_mkdev_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_mkdev_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_mount_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_mount_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_param_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_param_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_statfs_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_statfs_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_statvfs_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_statvfs_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_types_h_makedev=${ac_cv_header_sys_types_h_makedev='no'}
ac_cv_header_sys_vfs_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_vfs_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_wait_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_wait_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_unistd_h=${ac_cv_header_unistd_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_utime_h=${ac_cv_header_utime_h='yes'}
ac_cv_lib_ICE=${ac_cv_lib_ICE='no'}
ac_cv_lib_bsd=${ac_cv_lib_bsd='no'}
ac_cv_lib_crypt=${ac_cv_lib_crypt='no'}
ac_cv_lib_crypt_i=${ac_cv_lib_crypt_i='no'}
ac_cv_lib_curses=${ac_cv_lib_curses='no'}
ac_cv_lib_dir=${ac_cv_lib_dir='no'}
ac_cv_lib_dnet=${ac_cv_lib_dnet='no'}
ac_cv_lib_dnet_stub=${ac_cv_lib_dnet_stub='no'}
ac_cv_lib_gen=${ac_cv_lib_gen='no'}
ac_cv_lib_gpm=${ac_cv_lib_gpm='no'}
ac_cv_lib_inet=${ac_cv_lib_inet='no'}
ac_cv_lib_nsl=${ac_cv_lib_nsl='no'}
ac_cv_lib_pt=${ac_cv_lib_pt='no'}
ac_cv_lib_seq=${ac_cv_lib_seq='no'}
ac_cv_lib_socket=${ac_cv_lib_socket='no'}
ac_cv_lib_sun=${ac_cv_lib_sun='no'}
ac_cv_lib_termcap=${ac_cv_lib_termcap='no'}
ac_cv_make_with_percent_rules=${ac_cv_make_with_percent_rules='yes'}
ac_cv_path_AR=${ac_cv_path_AR='//D/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/ar'}
ac_cv_path_CHMOD=${ac_cv_path_CHMOD='//D/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/chmod'}
ac_cv_path_CP=${ac_cv_path_CP='//D/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/cp'}
ac_cv_path_MC=${ac_cv_path_MC='//D/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/mc'}
ac_cv_path_MV=${ac_cv_path_MV='//D/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/mv'}
ac_cv_path_RM=${ac_cv_path_RM='//D/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/rm'}
ac_cv_path_install=${ac_cv_path_install='//D/cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/install
-c'}
ac_cv_path_x=${ac_cv_path_x='no_x= ac_x_includes= ac_x_libraries='}
ac_cv_prog_AWK=${ac_cv_prog_AWK='gawk'}
ac_cv_prog_CC=${ac_cv_prog_CC='gcc'}
ac_cv_prog_CPP=${ac_cv_prog_CPP='gcc -E'}
ac_cv_prog_HAVE_FILECMD=${ac_cv_prog_HAVE_FILECMD='false'}
ac_cv_prog_HAVE_nroff=${ac_cv_prog_HAVE_nroff='false'}
ac_cv_prog_LN_S=${ac_cv_prog_LN_S='ln -s'}
ac_cv_prog_RANLIB=${ac_cv_prog_RANLIB='ranlib'}
ac_cv_prog_gcc=${ac_cv_prog_gcc='no'}
ac_cv_prog_gnu_make=${ac_cv_prog_gnu_make='yes'}
ac_cv_prog_make_make_set=${ac_cv_prog_make_make_set='no'}
ac_cv_prog_system=${ac_cv_prog_system='CYGWIN32/95'}
ac_cv_struct_st_blksize=${ac_cv_struct_st_blksize='yes'}
ac_cv_struct_st_blocks=${ac_cv_struct_st_blocks='yes'}
ac_cv_struct_st_rdev=${ac_cv_struct_st_rdev='yes'}
ac_cv_type_mode_t=${ac_cv_type_mode_t='no'}
ac_cv_type_off_t=${ac_cv_type_off_t='no'}
ac_cv_type_pid_t=${ac_cv_type_pid_t='no'}
ac_cv_type_uid_t=${ac_cv_type_uid_t='no'}
ac_cv_type_umode_t=${ac_cv_type_umode_t='no'}
fu_cv_sys_d_ino_in_dirent=${fu_cv_sys_d_ino_in_dirent='no'}
fu_cv_sys_mounted_getsstat=${fu_cv_sys_mounted_getsstat='no'}
fu_cv_sys_mounted_vmount=${fu_cv_sys_mounted_vmount='yes'}
fu_cv_sys_stat_fs_data=${fu_cv_sys_stat_fs_data='no'}
fu_cv_sys_stat_statfs2_bsize=${fu_cv_sys_stat_statfs2_bsize='no'}
fu_cv_sys_stat_statfs2_fsize=${fu_cv_sys_stat_statfs2_fsize='no'}
fu_cv_sys_stat_statfs3_osf1=${fu_cv_sys_stat_statfs3_osf1='no'}
fu_cv_sys_stat_statfs4=${fu_cv_sys_stat_statfs4='no'}

5. config.status was a zero-byte file.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".