Subject: cpio porting
From: [email-masked] (Scott Fagg)

6 Mar 1997 20:52:22 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Novell GroupWise 4.1
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I'm trying to port cpio to NT (so i can read some old sun backup
tapes)

The port took a little time based on source code supplied with my
linux distribution. I got a couple of warnings during the compile,
but the resultant exe appears to create and read valid cpio files.

However, i can't get it to work with my tape drive ( a SCSI SUN
QIC tape drive )
I've tried both cpio ... > /dev/st0 and cpio ... > \\.\tape0
The first instance tells me that /dev/st0 is not a file/directory
and the second one actually creates a file called .tape0 in the
root directory. However cpio ... > /dev/fd0/filename does work.

If have a win32 version of tar that works with \\.\tape0 so the
tape is working. (ie tar -cvf \\.\tape0)

The output from a mount command gives ...

Device      Directory      Type       Flags
d:          /extra         native     no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape1:  /dev/st1       native     no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:  /dev/st0       native     no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:      /dev/fd1       native     no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:      /dev/fd0       native     no-mixed,text!=binary
c:          /              native     no-mixed,text!=binary

Any ideas? Does the problem lie with my port of cpio, the bash
shell or what? Should the ':' be after the \\.\tape0 in the mount
table?

help!

regards,
scott fagg

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".