Subject: Re: xterm for win32
From: [email-masked] (John Winans)

4 Mar 1997 12:09:09 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>At 06:22 PM 3/3/97 -0500, Scott Kay wrote:
>>>>>>> "JP" == JP Shipherd <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>    JP> Has anyone found anything like an xterm that they can use as a
>>    JP> substitue for the cmd window on NT?
>>
>>    JP> I really miss the scroll bar and simple cut and paste.
>>
>>   If you just want these two items you can add them easily to your
>>native NT command window. Just access the "Properties" menu entry on
>>the command prompt and set the "Screen Buffer Size" field in the
>>"layout" tab control. Setting the "Height" to something like 2000
>>gives a nice scroll buffer, like an xterm. 
>
>This is definitly handy but after 2000 lines the scroll bar just
>evaporates.  Instead of getting rid of the oldest 1 every time it needs to
>add a new one (like an xterm does).  This can be quite disconcerting.

I have been watching this thread for a little while and I feel much the
same about the nastiness of the windows dos (and telnet) windows.  I wrote
a fairly faithful replacement for xterm in Java that includes a simple telnet
client.  You can check it out at http://www.ganymede.net/jxterm  

I have only started looking at the cygnus work to figure out if I could
run their bash from within my Java app somehow.  I figure I could start up
an inetd and telnet into localhost, or wrap bash in a native java method that
can return a java.io.InputStream and java.io.OutputStream that I can use
instead of the NVT logic in JXTerm.

I suspect that starting up inetd would be easy to the gnu-win32 initiated.
Is there support in the gnu-win32 environmet that can cover the work of the 
pty?  Does gnu-win32 know of terminfo/termcap yet?  Any gurus out there
care to comment on this?

--John Winans
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".