Subject: Perl 5.003_90 Configure recursion using beta 17.1
From: [email-masked] (Robert Rainthorpe)

28 Feb 1997 10:26:01 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I'm having difficulty getting perl to install:

I'm starting with a clean installation of GNU-WIN32 as per the FAQ

I'm then following the instructions given by K.M.Syring, as updated
yesterday. (http://www.edv.agrar.tu-muenchen.de/~syring/gnu-win32/index.html)

I'm assuming that instruction 1. should refer to /srcdir, rather than
srcdir (I have tried both).

When I get to instruction 3 - "sh Configure", the script appears to
run recursively. On screen I get:

bash$ sh Configure
sh Configure -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e
sh Configure -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e -ds -e
.........

So I press Ctrl-C and if I'm lucky it quits.

The problem appears to be related to mixed case. The configure
script I have is the lower case 'c' one. If I try to create two files with
the same name, but in different cases, it doesn't work:

echo Hello > t1
echo Goodbye > T1

leads to a file "t1" containing "Goodbye", and no file "T1". This is 
despite using mount -m -b to mount the drive, as instructed. This
applies to any mount -m that I make, not just the srcdir one.

Next I connected to an NFS mount on a pukka Sun workstation,
mounted /srcdir to it, untar the files into it and run sh Configure. 
I get the same result! Even though I've got both configure and
Configure.

Finally I telnet to the Sun and run sh Configure locally, and it all
works fine.

My mounts are shown below (I installed GNU-WIN32 into F:\cygnus,
on an NTFS partition)

bash$ mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
f:\perlUnix\source\perl5.003_90 /srcdir             native      mixed,text=binar
y
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
c:               /c                  native      no-mixed,text!=binary
f:               /                   native      no-mixed,text!=binary

I'm running NT 4 with Service Pack 2 and the kernel hotfix. The machine
is a  Pentium 90 with 64Mb of RAM. I am an NT specialist, rather than a
Unix one, so it's highly likely I'm missing something stupid. However, I've
scanned the FAQ, the mailing list archive and the perl instructions and I
don't seem to be doing anything wrong, per se.

I'd be grateful for any help anyone can provide, or pointers to more
sources of information.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Robert Rainthorpe
System Administrator
the University of Greenwich
England

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".