Subject: CYGWIN32 experts, please help.
From: [email-masked] (Little Robbie Burcham)

27 Feb 1997 17:49:34 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I have been monitoring this list for a short time, and I have already 
been impressed by the quality of responses I have seen.  I hope my 
questions yield no exception.

My questions deal with the situation of running multiple instances of a 
CYGWIN32 gcc compiled program.

Do CYGWIN32 compiled programs run the risk of delving into one anothers' 
memory, or other resources for that matter?  If one instance of a program 
allocates heap space, will another instance be prevented from allocating 
the same heap space?

What about blocking file I/O?  Is there anything to be wary of, or do the 
ANSI C raw open & flock standards hold?

What about sockets?  Same question as above.

Ah, and now for the reason I am asking :)  I have noticed that some 
simple programs hang when bash is open.  They operate nicely when there 
is no bash instance.  It makes me wonder if bash puts a lock on the 
CYGWIN32.DLL, or if perhaps bash puts a lock on heap allocation attempts 
on the part of CYGWIN32.DLL, or something odd like that.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Any idears?

_______________________________________________________________________________
Rob Burcham
Blairlake New Media			    "He's nuts!  Somebody grab him!"
104 West 42nd Street, Kansas City, MO 66111
http://robb.blairlake.com (sometimes)
[email-masked] - [email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".