Subject: RE: XFree ported to Windows NT?
From: [email-masked] ("Castro, Edison M. (NJAOST)")

27 Feb 1997 16:42:05 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=ML%l=[email-masked]>
Original-To: "'Dirk Vangestel'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.63
Encoding: 43 TEXT
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I tried both. It is not only cut/paste that I will miss, but also all
the OLE stuff. But the main reason why I want to port X11 is to build a
distibuted graphical interface using the X11 protocol.
I  have gotten a XWin32 server up and running with all dummy input and
output functions. My goal is to build a server capable of "spying" on a
Win32 applications and send all the ouput/input to and from another
machine. 
Right now, I do not care to much about the X11 application environment
(which applications?, anyway). I would like to leverage the Win32
applications. Somewhere down the line, when gnuwin32 is a stable
environment ( Active X, OLE, Direct X support) I will worry about the
X11/unix thing

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Dirk Vangestel [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Thursday, February 27, 1997 3:06 AM
>To:	[email-masked]'
>Subject:	RE: XFree ported to Windows NT?
>
>At 07:41 PM 2/26/97 -0500, Castro, Edison M. (NJAOST) wrote:
>>There is not a free source code implementation of X11 server for Win32.
>>I have been working on a porting effort with several mishaps. Initially
>>I tried a Direct X port using VC 4.0, but found that I would loose Cut
>>and paste and all the other niceties that make Windows the premier
>>desktop environment. 
>>I, finally decided on a direct port (Matching X11 calls to Win32 based
>>functions). 
>
>What did you start from? XFree or standard X?
>I'm not sure what you mean about loosing cut/paste... If you want to transfer
>data from X to Windows I imagine you would run into a few problems, yes.
>If you really want to port all X11 functions to Win32 function, I wish you
>the best of luck, you'll need it :-)
>I would prefer running XFree on top of gnuwin32. This way I have a
>normal Unix environment on my Windows box and I can compile and run
>X applications without having to adapt them (ok, I'm dreaming here...
>Somebody pinch me :-)
>
>Dirk
>
>-
>For help on using this list, send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".