Subject: RE: XFree ported to Windows NT?
From: [email-masked] (Dirk Vangestel)

27 Feb 1997 00:55:20 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0 (16)
Original-To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 07:41 PM 2/26/97 -0500, Castro, Edison M. (NJAOST) wrote:
>There is not a free source code implementation of X11 server for Win32.
>I have been working on a porting effort with several mishaps. Initially
>I tried a Direct X port using VC 4.0, but found that I would loose Cut
>and paste and all the other niceties that make Windows the premier
>desktop environment. 
>I, finally decided on a direct port (Matching X11 calls to Win32 based
>functions). 

What did you start from? XFree or standard X?
I'm not sure what you mean about loosing cut/paste... If you want to transfer
data from X to Windows I imagine you would run into a few problems, yes.
If you really want to port all X11 functions to Win32 function, I wish you
the best of luck, you'll need it :-)
I would prefer running XFree on top of gnuwin32. This way I have a
normal Unix environment on my Windows box and I can compile and run
X applications without having to adapt them (ok, I'm dreaming here...
Somebody pinch me :-)

Dirk

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".