Subject: Re: probs porting ssh
From: [email-masked] (aspa)

19 Feb 1997 08:57:25 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.970219175909.13247E-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@hydra>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: masplund@hydra
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Martin Hamilton wrote:

> Am concerned about (wait for it!) the copyright situation, though.  I 
> think I might prefer to start again from scratch with a copy of the 
> ssh protocol spec and some of the free crypto libraries.  What do you 
> reckon to this aspect ?

The lisence that comes with ssh says:
....

(c) You may build derived versions of this software under the restrictions
stated in Section 2, Restrictions, of this license. The derived versions
must be clearly marked as such and must be called by a name other than SSH
or F-Secure SSH. SSH and F-Secure SSH are trademarks of SSH Communications
Security and Data Fellows. 

All derived versions of the Program must be made freely available under
the terms of this license. SSH Communications Security and Data Fellows
must be given the right to use the modified source code in their products
without any compensation and without being required to separately name the
parties whose modifications are being used. 
....

but you cannot make money with your port. so if you plan on keeping it
free for non-commercial use, then i see no problem with the copyright. 

another issue is the US export regulations. if the person who ports ssh
lives in the US then he might not be allowed to export (for example make
it available though ftp) it. 

--
		aspa

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".