Subject: The Troubles of a Small Developer
From: [email-masked] (Pasqualino Assini)

18 Feb 1997 22:12:44 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (WinNT; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I'm using win-32 from a couple of weeks to port a commercial program
from Linux to winNT.

As a long time user of gcc under Linux I took it for granted that libs
coming with it would be LGPLed so when the (in)famous press release 
from Cygnus hit this mailing list I was more than a bit upset.

Now I find myself in the not enviable position of having a product ready 
to ship but being unable to do it.

The porting is complete and we might be shipping the product to our
first customer in a couple of weeks but the company for which I wrote it
it'is definitly not in the free software business and would never accept
to release it under the GPL.

Getting a commercial licence from cygnus is not even an issue.
First, because we are in a hurry and cygnus apparently still didn't
figure out how much to charge for it and, second, because the prices I
saw quoted are much above our budget.

If we had more time we might make a native port, but time is exactly
what we lack.

So what can I do ?

What I would like to know, possibly directly from cygnus is, if, by
bundling our product with cygnus.dll 16.1, we can sell it
without falling under the GPL.

A last question: as I have 17.1 already installed I would like to
compile with it and just bundle the final executable with cygnus.dll
16.1
Is there any reason why this shouldn't work ?

Many thanks in advance.

-- 
Pasqualino Assini        --- Kamus Internet Consulting
Via Nazioni Unite,47     --- 50126 Firenze Italy
Tel/Fax: +39 55 68.58.07 --- Tel/Fax: +39 55 48.29.29
Tel: +39 584 79.11.31    --- 
Email: [email-masked]   --- Web: http://www.kamus.it/

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".