Subject: Re: probs porting ssh
From: [email-masked] (Sheik)

18 Feb 1997 17:30:53 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: Martin Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Martin Hamilton wrote:

> 
> I've hacked it around at bit - you can grab the source for my initial
> attempt, which is just hacking around the problem areas and not a
> serious attempt to "port" (no #ifdefs, for instance) at <URL:ftp://
> ftp.net.lut.ac.uk/martin/ssh-win32>

  I am gonna check it out right now. =)
  actually, I have another question about it tho, I did some debugging on
the problem areas, and I have come across something I would like to get 
clarified (and maybe a workaround?)

  It appears that what ssh does is add the stdin fd to its fd_set's  
(readables) for select()'ing on. And when it does that, select() errors out, 
so, one of my questions is, how do I go about having ssh go
into an indefinate select(), and still detect when input is ready from stdin?

  What I was going to do, was cheat, and make a timeout for the select(), 
and just simply check stdin each time select() times out, (I have NO idea 
if this is good or bad, or will cause cpu usage to go sky high, I just 
wanted to see if it worked) it *does* timeout, and goes into a check against
stdin by read()'ing the fd.

NOW I have another prob =)  it seems that the default way that ssh puts 
for setting up blocking/non-blocking is *wrong*, so I mucked around with 
it, trying different ways to get our sockets to set up for 
blocking/nonblocking (yes, I know, winsock hates blocking sockets, but I 
was hoping for a quick port, and not have to create threads, blah blah 
blah) So, the socket is in blocking mode, and the read() sits there 
forever. So, to make a long story short =) what is the 
*correct* way to set up a socket for blocking/non-blocking for gcc-win32?
(I have seen a few different ways, SYS5, BSD)
Once I know this, I will be able to continue doing ports of my favorite 
net programs =)

Thanks for any help,
Scott Kilau
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".