Subject: Re: Starting all over from 16.1 ?
From: [email-masked] (Ted Lemon)

18 Feb 1997 10:15:41 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: Jim Balter <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Your message of "Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:44:24 PST."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Jim, your ability to flame is truly magnificent.  If you want to think
of it as critical analysis and pretend that what you're doing is
polite and constructive, I guess I can't stop you.  From my
perspective, critical analysis is only distinct from flaming to the
extent that it used to further constructive discourse.  A key
requirement of constructive discourse is that it show some signs of
convergence.  The discussion about Cygnus' recent press release shows
no signs of convergence.  I would call it a flame war.  I definitely
would not characterize it as useful discourse.  Whether or not you are
``right'', continuing to espouse your many opinions on this topic has
no purpose other than to ensure that every second message on the
gnu-win32 mailing list comes from Jim Q. Balter.

My knowledge of the FSF history comes not from reading emacs news
files, but from participating in said history, talking to the
principals and reading relevant on-line source material.  I may have
the cutoff version number wrong, but the conflict that I describe over
Gosmacs did happen.  If you want to correct my knowledge of FSF
history, that's fine - I don't claim to be perfectly informed.  But at
least get your own facts straight first.

			       _MelloN_
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".