Subject: Re: Summary of GPL issues.
From: [email-masked] ("Weiqi Gao")

16 Feb 1997 10:24:22 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: <[email-masked]>
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Jeremy Blackman <[email-masked]> wrote:

>My ONLY complaint is that I think the license fee that was quoted on this 
>list ($10,000 for 1-5 user license) is a _tad_ ridiculous, if accurate.  
>THAT is where Cygnus needs to do some work. :)

Keep in mind that by releasing the cygwin32.dll product, Cygnus is now in
direct competition with other "commercial" products that doesn't have a
trace of GNU.  I believe the pricing is on the par with these other
products ($2,000/seat).

When put in that light, I actually welcome Cygnus' move to commercialize
cygwin32.dll.  After all, the most commonly asked question in a GNUish
discussion group is "can I develop a commercial product with the GNU tools
and libraries?"  Cygnus is DOING it now.

Let me just point out that in order for Cygnus to continue developing and
improving the cygwin32.dll library, it would be in Cygnus' best interest to
keep the GPL licensing alternative available for all future versions of
cygwin32.dll.  This is for two simple reasons: 1) cygwin32.dll incorporated
patches (not only bug reports) submitted by users on this mailing list. 
Those pieces of code might very well have an implied GPL with them.  2) The
cygwin32.dll product needs the input of the broader range of people to
remain competative.

--
Weiqi Gao
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".