Subject: Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97
From: [email-masked] (Jim Balter)

16 Feb 1997 03:44:07 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (WinNT; I)
Original-To: Jeremy Allison <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> [...] I also happen to work on
> the Cygwin32 DLL which I don't consider proprietary as it *is*
> released under the GPL.

> [...] When you develop your own UNIX emulation
> library be sure to allow comercial developers to make money on
> it for free - I'll look forward to seing your source code.

Actually, you had best not look at it.  It's likely that I will
issue it as a derivative work of cygwin under the GPL, and possibly
also derivative of the glue in ntemacs, which is also under the GPL.
Cygnus will not receive any right to sell my mods under a restricted
license.  Your looking at it will poison you as a maintainer of
cygwin.  Anything showing up in cygwin that can be traced to anything
*not authored by Cygnus* but under the GPL will subject you to a
lawsuit (probably a test case in this area).  This, of course, is the
point that I have been making all along:  free contributions are
not compatible with a restricted distribution license.

However, if Cygnus decides to put cygwin under the LGPL, I would then
assign my rights, and FSF (owner of the ntemacs code) would probably
also give their permission to use that code, or accept ownership of
cygwin.

> Good luck and happy coding.

It's not a matter of luck, but I do enjoy coding.

--
<J Q B>
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".