Subject: Re: anyone know of a good IDE? -Reply
From: [email-masked] (Jim Balter)

15 Feb 1997 21:43:33 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (WinNT; I)
Original-To: Ed Huott <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Ed Huott wrote:
> 
> In message <[email-masked]>, Barry Roberts writes:
> >You did run emacs -nw, right?  The only problem is that it won't use color
> >in text mode.
> >
> >The DJGPP compiled GNU Emacs works great in Win 95 (including color),
> >but not in NT 4.0.  It is 32-bit DOS-extended, I believe.
> >
> 
> We're using a standard GNU Emacs distribution (19.31.1) built natively
> for win32 right out of the box with MSVC. (MSVC build support comes
> included.)  It's been working great on NT 3.51 and NT 4.0, especially
> when combined with a set of standard Unix style utilities.  (We're
> using mostly the cygwin32 stuff, but also some of the POSIX utilities
> from the NT 3.51 Resource Kit.)  At this point, you'll probably want
> to use the 19.34 release since it fixes a (very) minor problem with
> repainting frame windows that have been obscured by other windows.

Note that this *is* ntemacs.  The ntemacs sources are incorporated
into the GNU release; the binaries that you can get from the ntemacs
page (ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/latest) are built with MSVC
from the same GNU sources.  Calling this "out of the box" may be a bit
misleading, since the box contains all of ntemacs author Geoff Voelker's
glue code.

19.34 (actually >= 19.32) also fixes the problem with emacs
trying to make an internet connection when it starts up, a
nuisance for those without a permanent connection.

If you build it yourself with >= MSVC 4.2, you should get a
patch described on the ntemacs home page,
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html

> With the proper setup, I can *almost* make believe I'm running my
> Emacs session on a Unix box.

ntemacs works great with bash.  You should get shell-command-fix.txt
mentioned on the ntemacs home page.

> On top of that, they've done, IMHO, a
> very good job of of giving you ways to deal the various DOSisms such
> as drive letters, UNC names and text vs binary mode.

I really wish I could use cygwin's mounts in ntmacs, and I hate the
fact that ntemacs follows DOS "current drive" semantics; e.g., /tmp
means /tmp on the drive of the current buffer, which is a major pain in
the butt and breaks a lot of packages.

untranslate.el, again described on the home page, seems the best bet for
the t/b problem, and will apparently be incorporated at some point.

> This is one case
> where I think it makes a lot of sense to go with a "native" build (as
> opposed to relying on a glue DLL), especially since all of the work
> for it has already been done.

ntemacs includes its own glue code which provides similar
functions to cygwin.dll for those functions it needs.  It would be
great to coordinate or merge the two.   I'm actually interested
in building Xemacs under cygwin.dll, and am starting to look into
this.  (Don't expect anything soon. :-)

> Now, if I only knew how to do the win32 build with X client support
> built in... (sigh).

I saw something somewhere that was a stab at emulating Xlib under
Windows (not an X server).  I need to track that down as part of my
evaluation of Xemacs.

--
<J Q B>
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".