Subject: Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97
From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Allison)

15 Feb 1997 17:46:27 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Jim Balter <[email-masked]> wrote :

> So when Jeremy Allison says "This allows you to use Cygwin32 and not share your
> source (boo, hiss)", he is at the very least leaving a false impression.
> The folks he is booing and hissing are the people that are his source 
> of income.

Well, yes. And your point is (other than implying I am 'at least
leaving a false impression' something I would stongly deny) ?

Actually I make my income from porting Cygnus's Kerberos
code to Windows NT, thanks very much. Yes, that's proprietary  
and we don't release under the GPL. I also happen to work on
the Cygwin32 DLL which I don't consider proprietary as it *is*
released under the GPL. Yes, Cygnus is going to sell it to
commercial developers and allow them to buy out of the GPL.
Yes, I don't much like folks who don't share their source.
Everything I develop not directly for Cygnus I make available
under the GPL. Can you say the same ?                

Just because I sell to commercial software developers doesn't
mean I have to share their ideals.

Bottom line. Yes we are going to allow people to 'buy out of'
the GPL. Yes, we will make the same source available to GPL
developers because we like them. If you want to make money
by using Cygwin32 and hiding your sources you're going to have
to pay (explicit note for all the GPL-challenged, if you make
money using Cygwin32 but don't hide your sources then you won't
have to pay Cygnus a penny). I think that's a pretty good deal,
sorry you don't agree. When you develop your own UNIX emulation
library be sure to allow comercial developers to make money on
it for free - I'll look forward to seing your source code.

Good luck and happy coding.

Jeremy Allison,
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".