Subject: The [email-masked] mailing list
From: [email-masked] (Bill Mann/US/Praxis)

15 Feb 1997 09:45:23 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: Text/Plain
Original-To: noer <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>,
        rms
 <"(Richard_Stallman)_rms"[email-masked] (Richard_Stallman)>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Based on the recent Cygnus press release, I object to the name of this mailing 
list, 'gnu-win32'.

The principle subject of this list is the proprietary cywin32.dll library, and 
ports of free software based on it.  This can not be (or at least, is no 
longer) part of the gnu project, since it is based on a central library which 
is not distributed under the LGPL, but rather under a tightly restricted, 
for-profit license.

This is inconsistent with the expressed goals of the GNU project, since 
cygwin32.dll provides essential services, at about the same level as libc.a.

The fact that Cygnus is releasing the cygwin32 sources under the GPL does not 
alter the situation.

Now that cywin32 is an independent commercial product, it should no longer use 
the name 'gnu'.  When GNU is released by the FSF under Windows32, I doubt that 
it will be based on a commercial product.

In my opinion, people interested in the GNU project will probably not find this 
list of any further interest, unless:

    . they are evaluating commercial UNIX to Windows32 porting technology

    . they want to make use of the Cygnus free software ports

    . they are coding strictly for internal use

    . they simply curious

    . they are potential cheaters

Shareware and commercial software venders can't use cygwin32.dll without 
licensing from Cygnus.

People writing new code, either under the GPL license or as freeware, must be 
careful not to incorporate any of cygwin32 code into anything which they may 
someday want to release under the LGPL, since Cygnus would have the right to 
refuse to allow that.  If Cygnus asks you to assign them rights to any changes 
you submit, read the 'fine print' carefully to be sure you're satisfied; 
assigning rights to Cygnus is not the same as assigning them to the Free 
Software Foundation.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".