Subject: GPL issues: an alternative
From: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)

14 Feb 1997 21:44:22 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked] (gnu-win32)
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

The cygwin.dll file is covered by the GPL, but applications that
use it are not necessarily "derived works".

The only GPL'd code that is statically linked into your executable from
the cygwin library is the code in libcygwin.a.  There is an alternative
version of `libcygwin.a' that comes with GNAT (the GNU Ada compiler)
version 3.09.  That version of libcygwin.a is not GPL'd.  It is based
in part of the libcygwin.a from 16.1, but it works fine with the cygwin.dll
from 17.1.

-- 
Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger [email-masked]         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".