Subject: Re: anyone know of a good IDE? -Reply
From: [email-masked] (Ed Huott)

14 Feb 1997 19:52:12 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Your message of "Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:01:03 MST."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In message <[email-masked]>, Barry Roberts writes:
>You did run emacs -nw, right?  The only problem is that it won't use color
>in text mode.
>
>The DJGPP compiled GNU Emacs works great in Win 95 (including color),
>but not in NT 4.0.  It is 32-bit DOS-extended, I believe.
>

We're using a standard GNU Emacs distribution (19.31.1) built natively
for win32 right out of the box with MSVC. (MSVC build support comes
included.)  It's been working great on NT 3.51 and NT 4.0, especially
when combined with a set of standard Unix style utilities.  (We're
using mostly the cygwin32 stuff, but also some of the POSIX utilities
from the NT 3.51 Resource Kit.)  At this point, you'll probably want
to use the 19.34 release since it fixes a (very) minor problem with
repainting frame windows that have been obscured by other windows.

With the proper setup, I can *almost* make believe I'm running my
Emacs session on a Unix box.  On top of that, they've done, IMHO, a
very good job of of giving you ways to deal the various DOSisms such
as drive letters, UNC names and text vs binary mode.  This is one case
where I think it makes a lot of sense to go with a "native" build (as
opposed to relying on a glue DLL), especially since all of the work
for it has already been done.

Now, if I only knew how to do the win32 build with X client support
built in... (sigh).

<ED>
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".