Subject: Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97
From: [email-masked] (Hans Zuidam)

14 Feb 1997 12:09:12 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4ME+ PL22 (25)]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

Aside from all the confusion over what license might be in place
on which part, and after lengthy explanations from Cygnus people,
I still feel a little uneasy.

Fact is that Cygnus did not announce a priory that they would place
cygwin32.dll under two different licenses.  Given Cygnus' good
reputation in the [L]GPL arena, a lot of people were let to believe
that cygwin32.dll would go with the same license as other GNU
libraries.  A lot of non-Cygnus people put a lot time and effort in
getting the wrinkles out of cygwin32.dll, with the idea that one day
there would be a GNU porting library for Win32.

If Cygnus would have been up front and put everything from the start
under either a BSD style copyright or one of their own, the current
fuss would not have been necessary.

Regards,
					Hans

-- 
H. Zuidam                        E-Mail: [email-masked]
Brand Innovators B.V.            P-Mail: P.O. Box 1377
de Pinckart 54                   5602 BJ Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5674 CC Nuenen                   Tel. +31 40 2631134, Fax. +31 40 2831138
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".