Subject: Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

13 Feb 1997 09:59:08 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked] (Jim Balter)
Original-Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Jim Balter" at Feb 12, 97 04:19:16 am
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Jim Balter wrote:
[...]
> I just spent half a day rewriting times.cc in winsup and fixing at
> least 6 bugs.  I am now in a quandary as to what to do with the result.
> If I post it publicly, I would do so under the GPL.  But then Cygnus
> could not incorporate the result into their library.

For the record, before we accept any significant changes to the library, we
have to get a form which assigns the copyright ownership to Cygnus.  If I
remember correctly, it leaves the writer with quite a few rights with
respect to always being able to use the code for their own purposes, but
guarantees that Cygnus can modify it and won't be sued for using it.
Since Cygnus becomes the owner of the code, we can and will sell it under a
proprietary license.  (Let me know if you want a copy).

If you cannot stand the thought of Cygnus making money from companies
who want to use the library in non-free software, you are always free to
maintain and distribute your own version of the GPL'd sources but I hope
you will choose to contribute the changes.

Certainly much of the code could use some rewriting.  Certainly there's
still a lot of work to be done with respect to completeness.  If marketing
folks are right and Cygnus makes money off the library, we engineers will
be able to spend more time on making things better.

Cheers,

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".