Subject: Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97
From: [email-masked] (Keith Gary Boyce )

13 Feb 1997 00:25:18 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: [email-masked], Stan Shebs  <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Chameleon ATX 6.0.1, Standards Based IntraNet Solutions, NetManage Inc.
X-Face: ^DH_.wR&WxVpl/6xSwb1zT".+d0hm%R>&bOD<uhG0]C5^PtJ*C-{,0kzA+{][f&K9_svTdC
 WN/[+/~KR3H&Q`>: y{?
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Ok I agree with this is some regard except that Cygnus offers no guarantees 
that you wouldn't come after me any time in the future.
   i.e. if I post an app on the web and lots of people download it and
        use it. Let's say I don't post the source at that time.
        If I later decide to commercialize it and devise a way to not
        link it against cygwin32 then someone may come to me asking me
        for the source of the original code (a compeditor to my new code)
	and legally I would have to give them. 

I too would encourage programmmers to share their sources so others can
learn from them. 

--- On 11 Feb 1997 15:32:50 -0800  Stan Shebs <[email-masked]> wrote:
[email-masked] (Keith Gary Boyce ) writes:

> Will someone from cygnus define commercial. Does that mean if you say
> something like "If you like send $x to y" that's fine and you don't need a 

> licence. And if you produce binarys and say something like this does that
> mean you are also obligated to share source code for free. 

Jeremy had it pretty accurate, but "commercial" is not entirely
relevant.  Technically, if you use the GPLed library in a freeware
app, then you would have to make the app's sources available upon
request to anyone you gave the binary to (note: not to just anyone,
just those that *you* gave it to).  In practice, I would expect that
we would not bother to pursue any such cases - not much to be gained
by it.  However, I personally would like to encourage freeware authors
to make their sources available; there is an unfortunate tendency in
the PC and Mac world to distribute binaries and hoard sources, which
makes it much less likely that programmers can learn from each other.

							Stan Shebs
							Cygnus Support
							[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

---------------End of Original Message-----------------

-------------------------------------
Name: Garry Boyce
E-mail: [email-masked] (Garry Boyce)
Date: 02/12/97
Time: 19:47:31

This message was sent by Chameleon 
-------------------------------------

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".