Subject: X-windows on cygwin
From: [email-masked] ("Grant Leslie")

12 Feb 1997 23:55:44 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "GNU-WIN32" <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1160
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

	I have some limited success in compiling certain X clients on
cygwin32 and a few posted a few screen capture of those programs
running on my Win95 machine on my ftp server
ftp://ftp.deerinet.nb.ca/pub/gnu-win32 in case anyone was
interesting.
	I would love to know how much success anyone else has been having in
this vien.
	The biggest problem I have run into in 'exec'ing other clients from
within the window managers which I've compiled. They all seem to
exhibit the same behavior, which would be due to them all being based
on fvwm it would seem. I have tried to work around this problem,
without success so far. I just get either an cygwin exception, access
violation error (which I have up until now, found to be mostly when a
program tries to open a none exsistant file), from /bin/sh, during
the execv function. There is plenty of memory etc availible since I
can start the same program from Xfm, or the command line immediately
afterwards.
	I don't yet know why they don't work, since I have compiled and run
Xfm1.32 and it has no problems when exec ing other clients.
	I don't expect anyone to try and explain to me the finer points
forking and execing, but, if someone could point me to a nice web
resource which describes this I would be very grateful. And if anyone
has been successful in making these work, I'd really love to hear how
they did it.

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".