Subject: Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97
From: [email-masked] (Marcus Daniels)

12 Feb 1997 21:39:16 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
	<[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: Jim Balter's message of Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:19:16 -0800
X-Mailer: Gnus v5.3/Emacs 19.34
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>>>>> "JB" == Jim Balter <[email-masked]> writes:

JB> The problem though is that cygwin.dll is made up of code with all
JB> sorts of different copyrights, including code under the GPL (not
JB> LGPL) that does not belong to Cygnus. 

The product is winsup/newlib.  Of what files are you thinking that are
under the GPL (not the LPGL) and not developed by Cygnus?  All I see
is a few kb worth in newlib/doc, it could easily be removed from a
commercial version.  The DLL isn't a derivative of this code.

JB> I just spent half a day rewriting times.cc in winsup and fixing at
JB> least 6 bugs.  I am now in a quandary as to what to do with the
JB> result.  If I post it publicly, I would do so under the GPL.  But
JB> then Cygnus could not incorporate the result into their library.

This is nothing new.  The Free Software Foundation has been requiring
copyright assignments for years.  Sign over your code or it doesn't
get installed.  If Cygnus stops making net releases, stop contributing
patches or better yet, take over maintenance.  Seems pretty
straightforward to me!

JB> And if their library with a proprietary license suddenly shows up
JB> with these bugs fixed but the code looks a little different from
JB> mine, I may have grounds for a lawsuit.

Ok, but they haven't done that. 
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".