Subject: Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97
From: [email-masked] (Stan Shebs)

12 Feb 1997 19:37:06 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]> (message from Paul Shirley on
	Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18: 43:27 +0000)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

   Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:43:27 +0000
   From: Paul Shirley <[email-masked]>

   In message <[email-masked]>, Stan Shebs
   <[email-masked]> writes
   >Jeremy had it pretty accurate, but "commercial" is not entirely
   >relevant.  Technically, if you use the GPLed library in a freeware
   >app, then you would have to make the app's sources available upon
   >request to anyone you gave the binary to (note: not to just anyone,
   >just those that *you* gave it to).

   That may have been the intent of the GPL but it is *not* what the GPL
   actually says.

   [...]

   The key phrase is 'any third party'. This could be interpreted as
   meaning you must give anyone who asks a copy.

My mistake, you're quite right.  That clause is intended to discourage
those who might transfer the binaries to some sort of fake second party
who always sez "I'd love to give you the sources, but I don't have them";
the third party seeking sources can then go to the original distributor
and insist on getting them.

							Stan

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".