Subject: Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97
From: Stan Shebs <[email-masked]>

11 Feb 1997 15:32:50 -0800
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
	<[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: Gnus v5.3/Emacs 19.34

[email-masked] (Keith Gary Boyce ) writes:

> Will someone from cygnus define commercial. Does that mean if you say
> something like "If you like send $x to y" that's fine and you don't need a 
> licence. And if you produce binarys and say something like this does that
> mean you are also obligated to share source code for free. 

Jeremy had it pretty accurate, but "commercial" is not entirely
relevant.  Technically, if you use the GPLed library in a freeware
app, then you would have to make the app's sources available upon
request to anyone you gave the binary to (note: not to just anyone,
just those that *you* gave it to).  In practice, I would expect that
we would not bother to pursue any such cases - not much to be gained
by it.  However, I personally would like to encourage freeware authors
to make their sources available; there is an unfortunate tendency in
the PC and Mac world to distribute binaries and hoard sources, which
makes it much less likely that programmers can learn from each other.

							Stan Shebs
							Cygnus Support
							[email-masked]