Subject: Re: Make 3.75: Win32-Specific Fix for Filenames in Dependencies and i n Vpath
From: [email-masked] (Eli Zaretskii)

11 Feb 1997 04:43:56 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.970211093326.4172J-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@is>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: eliz@is
Original-To: "Griswold, Victor" <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: "Cygnus:GNU-WIN32" <[email-masked]>,
        "GNU: Make-Bugs" <[email-masked]>
In-Reply-To: <199702102309.SAA08547@telxon>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Griswold, Victor wrote:

> In the process of creating a software build environment which utilizes
> the cygwin32 tools, some difficulties arose in the use of 'make'.
> Specifically, DOS/Windows' use of ':' in filespecs confused 'make' both
> in dependency lines and in vpath lines.

I think Make 3.75 already supports colons in pathnames.  There should be
WIN32- and DOS-specific code in Make that allows using `:' without any
escape characters.  Can you post a short Makefile which exhibits the
problems you are trying to solve and see why doesn't it work with the 
released version of Make 3.75?  What compiler did you use to build Make?
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".