Subject: Re: ASCII and BINARY files. Why?
From: [email-masked] (Alex Stewart)

10 Feb 1997 20:22:50 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Fergus Henderson" at Feb 11, 97 05:00:07 am
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Content-Length: 2759      
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> You, sir, are an extremely rude person

Heh.. this statement's a little like the pot calling the kettle black, isn't
it?  I don't really care if you want to play holier-than-thou, but it's a
little silly to pretend to do it while simultaneously descending to the level
of slinging personal insults of your own.

> with little grasp of logic.

So you claim, but don't seem to elaborate anywhere..

> > You stated that it 
> > was a "bad idea" (implying that it shouldn't be done) to add support for 
> > these mechanisms in CygWin32
> 
> Yes, I did.

check.

> > (thus denying them to everyone)
> 
> Yes, that would be the basic effect.

check.

> > simply because you felt it was a bad idea to make use of them
> 
> Well, apart from the "simply" I'd agree with that summary.

check.

> > (ergo, you don't 
> > want to use them, so nobody else should be allowed to).
> 
> Your conclusion doesn't follow.

Ok, would someone else care to explain (since you don't seem to want to) how "I
think it's a bad idea to use it, so nobody should be able to" isn't effectively
equivalent to "I don't want to use it, so nobody should be able to"?  Keep in
mind that "I think it's a bad idea" doesn't mean it _is_ a bad idea, just that
it's somthing you think shouldn't be done (and thus something you would never
want to do).

It should also be pointed out that not everyone has the same goals in writing C
programs as you do, and just because something isn't appropriate for your use
doesn't mean it isn't appropriate for someone else's.

Admittedly, I realise I did make one assumption which wasn't completely spelled
out in my explanation, but which I had thought to be valid at the time.  This
assumption was that you hadn't decided to appoint yourself the C programming
god and dictate from on high how everyone does and doesn't get to use the C
language and that everyone has to use it for the same purpose as you do.
Was I wrong in assuming this?  If so, I apologize.

> By badly mis-summarizing my argument, you imply that I would make such
> awful errors in logic as you have made.  I find such an insinuation
> quite insulting.

Well, I suppose if you're determined to be insulted about something, that's up
to you..  This logic is a little bit of a stretch in itself, tho, don't you
think?  (I mean, if I supposedly don't even know that I'm using bad logic (as
you imply at the beginning of your message), how could I intentionally use such
a situation to imply anything about you?)

-alex
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Alex Stewart - [email-masked] - Richelieu @ Diversity University MOO
                         http://www.crl.com/~riche
           "For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".