Subject: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

9 Feb 1997 02:49:38 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Content-Length: 3235      
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Greetings,

Following is a copy of the recent Cygwin32 press release made on Jan 21,
1997.  Of particular note is the fact that Cygnus will be selling
commercial licenses for Cygwin32 in the first half of 1997.  This means
that companies wishing to use the Cygwin32 library in proprietary programs
will be able to do so with a license from Cygnus.  Cygnus will continue
to provide public releases under the GPL for those people using the library
in conjunction with the development of free software.

I will send more detailed information to the lists as it becomes available.

Regards,

Geoffrey Noer
Cygnus Solutions
[email-masked]

---------------------------------> snip <---------------------------------
 
News Release
For more information contact
Cygnus Solutions
Jeacline Marinkovic
+1-408-542-9600

Cygnus's cygwin32 Supports NT and UNIX Hosts from Single Source Base

Cygnus Solutions announces a preview release of cygwin32--the most complete
C and C++ POSIX development environment for WindowsNT. With cygwin32,
developers can support WindowsNT and multiple UNIX platforms from a single
source base. Cross-platform host targets from a single source base
provides: 

      * True compatibility of multi-platform applications 
      * Reduced support costs in development and deployment 
      * Significantly accelerated time to market 

Cygnus developed cygwin32 in order to port key Internet software packages
from UNIX to WindowsNT. Popular Internet technologies, such as the GNU
development tools, MIT's Kerberos, and the Apache web server are freely
available for the range of UNIX hosts. Cygnus, recognizing the migration
trend of multi-user applications to NT, created a solution that would bring
cross-platform support without the development and support costs of
modifying source code. 

With Cygwin32, the cost of multiplatform support is substantially
reduced. Existing UNIX source code does not require special changes to
migrate from Unix to WindowsNT. This means that software can be delivered
to WindowsNT customers without migrating the sources away from Unix or
investing in NT development resources.

As a powerful example of this capability, Cygnus ported 250,000 lines of
software originally part of MIT's Kerberos source base to WindowsNT --
effectively without changing the source. Not only did Cygwin32 make it
possible to guarantee Kerberos compatibility across Unix and WindowsNT
(since both can run the same source base), but it also enabled Cygnus to
demonstrate the world's first version of Kerberos 5 running on
WindowsNT. Cross platform support for key Internet technologies was
highlighted earlier this month when Microsoft announced that WindowsNT 5.0
will standardize on Kerberos user authentication. Cygnus's KerbNet for NT
was in beta test as Microsoft made this announcement. 

The preview release of cygwin32 is at 

	ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/gnu-win32-b17.1 

This software is covered by the GNU General Public License. A commercial
version with commercial licensing terms will be available in the first half
of 1997. Cygnus will continue development of cygwin32, targeting additional
functionality, such as an integrated development environment, for the
commercial release.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".