Subject: Re: Tcl/Tk
From: [email-masked] ("Geza Groma")

7 Feb 1997 04:09:20 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Original-To: "Henry" <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Pegasus Mail for Windows (v2.33)
Content-Length: 1469
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> I try to compile a DLX simulator called dlxview. It need
> the tcl/tk lib for linking. How can I convert the tcl76.dll
> and tk74.dll into lib.

A good tool is makelib from
ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/rsxntdj1.zip.
I might make the correct lib itself, but I have never tried that. Instead  
I used the --print flag to list the exported functions, made a .def 
file and used dlltools in a standard way to bild the lib.

> I try the tcl/tk soruce code, it is so hard
> make it work.

True. Especially, it includes the 'try' extended C keyword not 
supported by gcc. However, for pure tcl/tk applications you don't need this. 
The precompiled dlls could work with gnu-win32 with a proper memory allocation 
manegement.  For detailes, read the Windows specific FAQ at
ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/efjohnson/tclwin.htm.
Recompiling the dlls by MSVC, Symantec C++  (or perhaps Borland C++ 
v5.0) apparently eliminates any memory allocation problems.

>in the gnu-win32 package, it there a errno.h ? and is the package
>support a command called XSynchronize, if so, which library I should
>link to?

Hm. If XSyncronize is required by dlxview itself, not just by tk, this 
probably indicates that this is not a pure tcl/tk application but an 
X11 client. I am not familiar with X11, but worry that the Win32 
native tcl/tk dlls can not be simple linked to it. Check tclPort.h 
and tkPort.h and try to build a real Unix port of tcl/tk...

Good luck
Geza Groma
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".