Subject: Re: man & ncurses problems
From: [email-masked] ("Grant Leslie")

7 Feb 1997 01:38:08 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "GNU-WIN32" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1160
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> As of recently, man (and troff) have been giving me problems.  It's

> giving the following error:
> 
> /usr/local/bin/groff:/usr/local/lib/groff/font/devlatin1/DESC:1:
> illegal input character code `13'
> 
> repeating a few thousand (or so) times.  I got the allman.tar.gz 
> someone mentioned earlier from their ftp site at
ftp.deerinet.nb.ca.
> 
> I can't think of changing anything in my setup.  I first installed 
> the allman package after remounting everything in binary mode.  It 
> worked then, and I didn't use man pages for a few weeks.  I tried 
> reinstalling it, but no luck.

That would be because I compiled the groff package with cygwin
mounted in text mode. I'm not sure why it would even work the first
time you tried it though??
The problem is all the man source files seem to be "Text Mode" files,
the <cr><nl> thing is handled fine since I never changed the access
mode to binary for groff, so it strips the <cr>. When you mounted
under binary mode, when it would open the files, it would be opening
them in binary mode, and the <cr>'s wouldn't get stripped, sending
straight into groff, causing it to complain about all the 
" illegal input character code `13' ". 
Since the man source files all contain the <cr>'s I never bothered
playing with this, since I'm mounted as text mode still.
I imagine would be a rather simple task to get the sources yourself,
and add a couple lines to handle the <cr>'s.

I got the source from ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu , I can't remember the
exact dir names, but, it's in the slackware linux sources directories

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".