Subject: flock ??
From: [email-masked] (Nigel Rantor)

6 Feb 1997 14:08:05 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: [email-masked]
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hmm, ok, simple question, is there flock? I have looked around the include
files and can't find it. I know that Win32 can do it because I have seen
the stuff about locking/lock/unlock and the whole issue of DOS machines
required to load share.exe to use those features. My question is whether
or not we have the UNIX calls or whether I would have to find out what the
correct Win32 ones are.

At the moment I am trying to come up with a couple of IO manipulators for
streams so that you can just pass manipulators such as,
lock/lock(attempts,timeout) and unlock() just as you would endl
setprecision setfill and their like. So I need a reliable way to lock
files and I would rather take advantage of system calls rather that
(eeeuuughh) use temp files. Just so you know what I needed flock for.

Or indeed lockf, I have read someone looking for this (BSD??) call, I use
Linux but if they are the same, functionally, then thats what I need. You
get the idea.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted,

 Nige

p.s. Is that mail loop really gone now?

Nigel Rantor - WEB Ltd
e-mail - [email-masked] / [email-masked]  
tel    - (+44|0)181-960-3050 fax    - (+44|0)181-960-0825

"We challenge one another to be funnier and smarter....
It's the way friends make love to one another."
                                - Annie Gottlieb

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".