Subject: Multicasts & fsstat
From: [email-masked] ("walter.jenny")

4 Feb 1997 09:44:04 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <9702041349.AA24752.cygnus.gnu-win32@nxser>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (NeXT Mail 4.1mach v148)
Content-Type: text/plain
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I am just porting a communication package from UNIX to NT. Almost everything went  
fine! Good stuff - congratulations.

Still there are some open issues and maybe someone has already found a solution.

1.) After a successfull accept( ) call the server tries to get the remote IP adress  
with getpeername( ) and gethostbyaddr( ). The second call always returns NULL even  
when I copy the hosts file into /etc. The other way round with gethostbyname( ) is  
ok.

2.) On startup a multicast message is sent across the net. This is done by setting  
a udp filedescriptor to SO_BROADCAST and getting the interfaces with ioctl( ...,  
SIOCGIFCONF, ... ). To get the correct IP range I had to add the functions  
inet_makeaddr( ) and inet_netof( ) by hand. Now it compiles fine and returns no  
error but the multicast doesn't turn up on the other systems. Is this kind of  
adressing supported ?

3.) On UNIX systems there is a means to get the available disc space by calling  
statfs ( ) or statvfs( ). Is or will there  be something similar in the cygwin  
package? A workaround is to call GetDiskFreeSpace( ) from libkernel32.lib.

4.) When running the server as a demon (ie. forking and calling setsid( )) all  
following forks and system( ) calls fail with sys_errlist[errno] set to 'No such  
process'. Is there a workaround?

Cheers

[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".