Subject: Terminals and consoles
From: [email-masked] (Michiel van Wessem)

2 Feb 1997 08:48:05 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0 (32)
Original-To: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hello,

I'm not up to date on the latest state of terminal emulation in gnu-win32 -
I haven't tried it out, but I'm a little concerned about the compatibility
of it. Here are some obnoxious questions..

How does it work? Is the entire terminfo (and termcap) stuff operational?
Is it possible yet to port a telnet daemon and it would support all of the
terminfo terminals?

How good is the terminal emulation for the standard console? What terminfo
entry is it - ansi? Does curses work, do function keys work? 

Where are the terminal escape codes remapped to win32 console function
calls? Cygwin32.dll seems a good place for this.

Does the current terminal emulation take advantage of all the features of a
win32 console?

Would it be useful to have an xterm that uses the Windows GUI APIs instead
of X and use that as the standard terminal, instead of the console?

Ok, thank you for reading this. The terminal stuff is Unix seems intricate
and good for causing headaches. I think it'd be nice if it'd be implemented
well (it may be already - I don't know). It seems all the programmers
making the Unix terminal emulation have been working with Unix for at least
15 or 20 years.. :)

Michiel van Wessem
Systems Administrator General Design, Amsterdam.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".