Subject: RE: dos file names (what should I do)
From: [email-masked] (Wayne Davison)

1 Feb 1997 16:02:18 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
        "'Joe Marzot'"
	 <[email-masked]>
Encoding: 22 TEXT
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Since various utilities have trouble with the double-slash paths, I 
recommend mounting all your drive letters.  One simple approach would be to 
mount them in the root directory:

	mount d: /d

Unfortunately there are yet bugs in how mounted directories are handled. 
 Have you ever tryed typing "ls /"?  I always get an empty directory 
listing for this or any drive's root dir that is mounted (such as trying 
"ls /d" or even "ls /d/." using the above example).  However, it works fine 
for specifying files.

Note that if you want the mount points to show up in a directory listing, 
you should do a "mkdir /d" before you do the mount.  However, this isn't 
required.

I also think that cygwin.dll should be changed to use some better default 
mounts than //x -- I think that /dev/x (or even /dev/dsk/x) would work 
well.  These things don't have to be short since they can be mounted 
wherever the user wishes.

...wayne..

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".