Subject: Re: ASCII and BINARY files. Why?
From: [email-masked]

31 Jan 1997 16:51:38 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi, you wrote:

: Addressing the portability issue, including a "t" flag in a fopen call does
: not decrease portability in any way, as it will simply be ignored by any
: libraries which do not support it.

Is ignoring guaranteed on really all implementations, or do some produce
errors? And who assures you that some platform doesn't already use "t" with
another meaning?
I guess O_TEXT is less likely to cause an incompatibility.

FYI, I try to use the least common denominator only; what Richard Stevens'
"Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" doesn't explicitly mention
to work an all flavors of unix, I try to avoid.
It doesn't say anything about unimplemented type specifiers, and sure not
about fopen ignoring them. It only lists the ANSI ones.

Bye, Heribert ([email-masked])
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".