Subject: Re: ASCII and BINARY files. Why?
From: [email-masked] ("Grant Leslie")

31 Jan 1997 03:23:48 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "GNU-WIN32" <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1160
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> From: Jim Balter <[email-masked]>
> You have to accept *some* sort of imperfection.  The argument that
users
> shouldn't be made to convert files is useless when the alternative
is
> that no tool can be used for both text and binary files. 

I for one would rather work to remove any sort of imperfections I had
the ability to remove...

> Loose talk about "the average Win95 user", a person who would have
no
> interest in these tools, ignores the other end, average and not so
> average users who are familiar with these tools and want to fully
take
> advantage of their capabilities.

These development tools are intended to develop software... This
software which is created WILL eventually be placed in the hands of
non-developers. Shouldn't every effort be made to remove as many
idiosyncrasies as possible _before_ that happens?? From what I've
read quite a few people would like to make money with the end
products. 

I don't know exactly what Cygnus envisions for these tools, yet Im
rather certain the companies they work with will be wanting them to
create software for people other than just the software developers in
that company. The tools themselves are not the end to the means....

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".