Subject: RE: <string.h> .vs. <String.h>
From: [email-masked]

30 Jan 1997 21:45:40 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi, you wrote:

: Technically, the ANSI C++ committee is off the hook, because they have
: mandated that C++ include files be included simply as <String>,
: <iostream>, etc., and so it should be possible to distinguish between
: <String> and <string.h>.

I have never heard about the .h-less includes!

: In practice, however, 100% of all C++ installations still ship their
: files using a .h suffix, and we have a clash. Remember that ANSI C++
: still grandfathers in the <string.h> file from C, so we have a situation
: in which C++ implementations have to ship both files, and given the
: case-insensitive nature of many file systems, they have a problem on
: their hands.

Would it be possible having *identical* contents for both, depending
on _CPLUSPLUS or some such, protected from multiple includes by the same
ifdef, or both just including another, third file with a secure name?

Bye, Heribert ([email-masked])
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".