Subject: Re: ASCII and BINARY files. Why?
From: [email-masked]

30 Jan 1997 13:51:25 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Authentication-Warning: antimony.kdps.com: Host localhost didn't use HELO protocol
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Your message of "Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:49:52 CST."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>Personally starting with next release I'm going to mount everything
>in binary.  I have yet to have a program compile out of the box without
>a text vs. binary problem.
>

I you'll pardon another post on this subject--I've been using binary
mounts since I found out about the option, and have had no bad effects,
and have likewise found notepad to be the only program that does
not appreciate the files (including many compilers, etc.)  Oh, yes,
one other place--reading files from a VB module in Access.  I had
to change a routine to read by character instead of by line.  I
don't know if other VBA modules have the same problem.

I'd recommend binary mounts to anyone, and as the default too.

Ben

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".