Subject: Re: ASCII and BINARY files. Why?
From: [email-masked] (Scott Kempf)

29 Jan 1997 13:49:01 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>That approach makes interoperability between gnu-win32 software and
>non-gnu-win32 software impossible.  It is *not* a low suprise factor
>approach, because users will be continually surprised when they try to
>use gnu-win32 tools on a Windows text file, or use Windows tools on a
>gnu-win32 text file.

Korn's paper on UWIN says that he found that "many programs that run
on Windows NT do not require the <cr> in front of each <nl> in order
to work.  This difference turned out to be less of a problem that (sic)
we had originally expected."  I don't have enough experience to
evaluate this claim.

Personally starting with next release I'm going to mount everything
in binary.  I have yet to have a program compile out of the box without
a text vs. binary problem.

				Scott
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".