Subject: passwd, LOGNAME, EUID, UID and bash
From: [email-masked]

26 Jan 1997 10:54:10 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.4 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Well here goes again...

I set up the passwd file such that it contained such information 

#/etc/passwd
name::500:500:name:/usr/name:/bin/sh

Regardless of what I do, bash seems to load the absolude last line of this
file to set UID, EUID, and LOGNAME. However, it fails to grab HOME dir or
SHELL entry. Now the way I understand the login dynamic, "login" sets these
variables, especially since they are not settable once bash is running.
However, ther is no "login" executable per se. and even if there were, I
have tried setting these var's before running bash and it resets them as it
sees fit.

Is this a bug/feature/ or am I doing it wrong?

Bradley

I'd like to be able to actually have multiple users each with their own HOME
directories.

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".