Subject: RE: Bugs with gcc
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

24 Jan 1997 10:18:25 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 12:58 AM 1/24/97 EST, [email-masked] wrote:
>Hi, you wrote:
>
>: firstly, compiling/linking with the -s flag to g++ causes an executable
>: to be produced, that will not run, - apparently a non NT executable.
>
>What do you expect -s to do, please?
>The great thing about gcc/gdb/cygwin is that I can use exactly the same
>commands and switches as on unix, and often also get the same errors and
>warnings, but my (maybe outdated) gcc/g++ man pages (on unix) list no -s.
>Closest thing is -S, but that isn't supposed to create an executable at all.
>
>
>Bye, Heribert ([email-masked])

As I remember, -s is an ld flag that is supposed to strip the executable
of symbols (-S being strip debug symbols).  This doesn't produce a valid
executable.  In the past, I believe I heard recommendations to use strip
instead although from recent mail it does sound like there is still an
issue with using strip on DLLs (which should not be a problem for you if
you have an executable).  This is all just stuff I recall from memory and
which I have not tried personally but maybe it will help resolve your
problem.

Larry

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".