Subject: Re: Newsgoup crap
From: [email-masked] (Ted Lemon)

23 Jan 1997 21:18:59 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-cc: derek greene <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Your message of "Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:08:40 +0100."
             <[email-masked]> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> Please use a mail filter concerning subjects you dislike.

This mailing list is, as far as I know, for the use of people who want
to discuss issues relating to the Cygwin32 software which cygnus has
kindly made available to us.   It is not for meta-discussions about
newsgroups, nor is it for name-calling and flamewars.

What you are suggesting is technically impossible at this time.   I
know of no natural-language mail reader that can isolate mail
according to subject and only deliver to me that mail which I would
actually be interested in.   If such software were available, I most
likely would not be able to afford it.

No, the only really practical way for me to avoid having to read
off-topic messages on this mailing list is for you, me, and all the
other subscribers to have the self-discipline to STAY ON TOPIC.

If you think that gatewaying this mailing list to a newsgroup is a
good idea, by all means pursue that end.  Post a message to
news.groups proposing that a new group be added.  Post a message here
inviting people to participate in the discussion on news.groups about
the new newsgroup, and when it comes to a vote, post a message here
announcing the vote.

Send mail to Geoffrey Noer suggesting that you'd like to set up a
gateway.  Be prepared to run the gateway yourself if Geoffrey agrees
that it's a good idea but is not willing or able to set up the gateway
at Cygnus.

If you are prepared to do the work I've described above, then do it.
If not, discussing it here wastes the time of all the people who read
this mailing list and aren't interested in the discussion.   A
full-blown discussion here is definitely off-topic.

Please, remember that the only way that unmoderated internet mailing
lists can remain civil is if the participants hold themselves to a
high standard of civility.   If we aren't willing to do that, the
mailing list will degenerate into something useless, and the people
who are interested in actually working on cygwin32 will go elsewhere
to talk about it.

			       _MelloN_
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".