Subject: File ownership under beta 17.1 bash
From: [email-masked] ("Russell Steinthal")

23 Jan 1997 20:47:36 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v2.52)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I recently installed beta 17.1 under Windows 95 and have been 
experimenting both with bash and with trying to build some GNU 
software packages.  One thing I haven't been able to determine is how 
bash handles file ownership.

While I was making less, make kept stopping with an error that I was
"not the owner" of one of the system headers.  If I then reran make
(without any intervening commands), it would successfully get past
that header, and maybe that source file, only to stop again with the
same error for another header.  Running make enough times eventually
compiled the entire package, although it didn't work. :)  (I think
that's due to an unrelated problem, though.)

I also tried creating a symbolic link to a directory, using 
ln -s i386-cygwin32 local, which succesfully made ls show the pointer 
indicating the link.  However, trying to change into the local 
directory generates a "not the owner" error as well.  Is this also an 
ownership problem, or have I just expected too much in thinking that 
symlinks will actually work under Win95? :)

Thanks for any help.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Russell Steinthal               
<[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".