Subject: Re: Any opinions of tar and gzip vs. pkzip? also any major problems in tar?
From: [email-masked] ("Grant Leslie")

23 Jan 1997 10:59:53 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "GNU-WIN32" <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1160
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> >
> Well, I must say I've sort of sided with ZIP files. When I
downloaded
> all 14 megs of GNU-Win32 stuff, I concatanated all of the XA? files
> into all.tar.gz, and went ahead and ran GUNZIP. Well, it worked for
a
> minute or two, and then gave me an error message that says that I
did
> not own the file. :p... I did too own it! :) I probably just
> configured something wrong, but I launched WinZip and it worked
fine.
> This probably is a Un*x type problem, but still.. :)

This is right out of the Winzip 6.2 help file for those curious about
Winzip

  "Thanks to Jean-loup Gailly for permission to use portions of his
gzip source in WinZip.  The original sources to gzip are available on
Internet as prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/gzip-*.tar."

I've never had any trouble using it to Gunzip and Untar files, it
MUCH easier to use if you only want some files, and very easy to
p[lace the files where you want, using the archive directories if you
want, or not using them.

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".