Subject: Re: using cygnus-gnu-win32 for commercial projects.
From: [email-masked] (Richard Watts)

23 Jan 1997 09:13:37 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
	<[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Wed 22 January 1997, Geoffrey Noer
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>Aurel Balmosan wrote:
>> 
[snip]
>
>You should not have to worry about the GPL unless you want to use
>the cygwin.dll in conjunction with distribution of non-GPL'd
>proprietary apps.

 Is there any chance of excepting the libraries and putting them
under the LGPL ? There is quite a bit of interesting free software
out there that is distributed under a more general license than
the GPL (eg. Berkeley copyright, or the Digital SRC Modula-3 
licence), and it's very frustrating to either have to tell new 
users `no, sorry, you'll have to buy MSVC because we don't want 
to trap the distribution in the GPL' (and then write our own
Unix-emulation on top of that), or to have to maintain huge
patch-lists for the same reason (and the patch lists are 
dodgy in themselves).

 [ cue GPL rant > gnu.misc.discuss ]

Richard.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".