Subject: DirectX support
From: [email-masked] (Dirk Vangestel)

23 Jan 1997 04:31:04 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0 (16)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

I'm looking to port a Unix application to Windows and I'd like to use
DirectX to get direct access to the screen. Since the existing code relies
heavily on the gcc compiler, I'd like to use the gnu-win32 tools.
I don't think anyone has tried it yet (I'm new to gnu-win32 but I checked
the archives) so I would appreciate some pointers on how to get it working.
As far as I understand it, I will have to make some changes to the header
files. But I'm not sure what is required... Do I only need to convert
the DirectX headers? Or do I need to add some non-existing Win32 headers
to gun-win32? Or can I use the standard Win32 headers instead of the gnu-win32
headers? I do have VisualC++, so that shouldn't be a problem (as a temporary
solution that is).
I tried (briefly) to compile an example application but it complained about
missing Win32 headers... I haven't tried adding the VisualC++ include path.
Would that be enough to get it working?
Also, can I just link the DirectX libraries with the gnu linker? I'd like
to use only free tools since the project has to remain free. It's not really
an option to have users buy VisualC++ just to recompile the application...
(or I could have put the DirectX stuff in a separate source file and link
the entire thing together with the MS linker. I don't like this option.)

Thanks,
Dirk

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".